Student's view: Junior Research Associateship

Today's guest post is by Eddie Brown, currently a final-year BA student in English Language & Literature and a 2017 Junior Research Associate.  The JRA programme is open to current second-years as a paid research appointment in summer. Click here for more on the programme and how to apply. See the second-year Study Direct site for some information from staff about JRA projects they'd like to supervise, and come see us in office hours to discuss possible projects. 


When Lynne Murphy first told me about the JRA program at Sussex, I knew it was for me. I loved linguistics, and I knew I wanted to study at the post-graduate level. Some research experience seemed like the perfect fit. Thankfully, I wasn’t wrong.

My particular area of study was that of compliment responses, as I investigated whether the length of a compliment correlated with the type of response it elicited. This was an important question to ask, as the current literature shows that not only do men and women have different complimenting behaviours, but compliments given by men are more likely to be accepted. I wanted to know if this disparity was a result of gender bias, or whether compliment structure a
Eddie presenting her research at the
JRA poster event in October 2017
ffected the response type.
This was by no means a topic I came up with independently. Lynne, as my supervisor, suggested I read up on complimenting behaviours, and we went from there. Of course, for some people pursuing JRAs, the right topic is something they have been fascinated by for some time, but this was not the case for me. Fortunately, at Sussex we are surrounded by tutors who know a lot more than us, so being stuck for ideas is not really a problem.

Once I knew what I wanted to research and I had fully versed myself with the (surprisingly large) world of complimenting behaviour, it was time to write my research proposal. In hindsight, this was a pretty simple process. At the time, however, this felt akin to being asked to perform some kind of brain surgery or fill out a tax return. This was a feeling I experienced throughout my JRA, when asked to devise my methodology, or analyse my data, or write up conclusions about my research. Though daunting, this was a great way to learn: you’re expected to learn by doing, and if you do it wrong, unlike with brain surgery or tax returns, nobody is going to die. You’ll be corrected, and you’ll learn to do it right. This also gave me a lot more confidence, because most of the time, the work that I was so unsure about was completely fine.

For my research I needed to collect a lot of data, which involved talking to many many strangers – a great, though terrifying, skill to learn. This involved spending five days a week in cafes, from nine to five, for about a month - great if you like coffee. For me this wasn’t difficult, as I enjoy structure and have a fair bit of self-discipline. The JRA worked well for me in that sense; most of the deadlines are decided by you and your supervisor, so you have to be willing to make yourself work despite very little pressure.

As someone who is really very bossy and does not easily relinquish control, I loved the freedom of being in charge of my own work, but I also appreciated the accountability of it. You have a supervisor and a mentor to guide you, but ultimately the work is yours, a realisation that is in equal measures tasking and rewarding. Having now completed my JRA, I have learnt a lot about not only compliment responses, but also the way in which academic research is conducted. Projects like these are challenging and, at times, stressful, but personally, learning about the way in which I work independently was an invaluable experience.



Comments